Kakrar Jhal or Bengali Style Crab Curry is a spicy and delicious a Bengali style crab curry.In Bengali, crab is called Kakra, I have never eaten crab before my marriage. I have started eating crab after my marriage as my hubby is a true crab lover. Now I just love eating crab, my 10 years old daughter also loves it. My husband is also a good cook, he loves to cook spicy dishes specially non vegetarian dishes. Kakrar Jhal or Bengali Style Crab Curry is my husband’s signature dish. He prefers to buy alive crab from market and then after bringing crab at home he cleans and dices.Me and my daughter get scared seeing alive crab, so we stand far away when he cleans the crab.
Crab dishes are popular at the places of both Eastern and Western coast of India. It is easily available at the coastal areas. Each and every region of India has their own unique recipe of crab. As a Bengali,among different crab preparations I like Kakrar Jhal or Bengali Style Crab Curry. Every sea food lovers must try this Kakrar Jhal or Bengali Style Crab Curry Recipe, as it is a perfect mix of Indian spiced curry which give it a unique flavour. If you are using alive crabs then be careful while dicing them as crabs can give you crab bites.I advice you to tell your shopkeeper to cut the crab into pieces.
Now I am coming to the recipe. Kakrar Jhal or Bengali Style Crab Curry Recipe is very easy to cook and you do not need a lot of ingredients to prepare this dish. If you use many flavourful spices then the freshness of crab meat will be ruined. These few ingredients will make this dish delicious and irresistible.For garnishing purpose I kept the shells but if you want you can throw them away. I prefer to boil the crab with little salt and turmeric before cooking. If it has some mud inside it’s body it will come out easily while boiling. You can check few fish and sea food recipes below –
If you are residing in Bangalore you can buy crab from your local market or order from any good online store like Freshtohome.
Author – Moumita Malla
Cuisine – Bengali
Course – Main course
How to make bengali style crab curryPrint This
- Crabs-2 (Medium Sized ), (cleaned and divided into claws body and legs,if you want you can throw the big shell of body, I boiled the big shell of body just because of serving.)
- Onion-3 (Big)or 6 Medium -grated
- Tomatoes -2 (chopped )
- Garlic Paste -3 tablespoons (not crushed )
- Ginger Paste -2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies Paste- 2 teaspoon
- Dry Chillies -2 (roast in a tawa..then grind to make a fine powder )
- Turmeric powder -1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder -1 1/2 teaspoons
- Kashmiri red chilli powder -2 teaspoons (for colour )
- Garam Masala powder – 1tsp (3 cloves, 3 cardamoms and 1/2inch cinnamon. .grind to make a fine powder).
- Salt to taste
- Oil -1/2cup (preferrably mustard oil )
- Chopped coriander leaves-1/4 cup
- Mix crab pieces with salt and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder for 10 minutes.
- Boil the big shell of body in 1cup of water for 5 minutes on medium flame .Drain the water,(if you use it for serving otherwise throw it out )keep them on serving plate.
- Heat oil in a pan,add garlic paste and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and fry until light brown
- Add ginger paste,cook for 1 -2 minutes
- Add chopped tomatoes ,cook until oil gets separated
- Add crab pieces..
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, cumin powder ,remaining turmeric powder and salt,cook until oil gets separated.
- Add 1/2cup water,bring it to boil,simmer the gas when water will start boiling.Cook until the water will be the half of the volume.
- Add all the pieces on the serving plate along with the boiled big shell of body,pour the gravy on it,garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- It goes well with hot steamed rice.