We Bengalies just dont love to eat, we also love to invite freinds,relatives at our home,love to cook enormous varieties of food items for them.Actually we truly believe that the path to a man’s heart is through his stomach.It is the individuality and speciality of Bengali cuisine that define us.Though Bengalies are known for their love for fish,but we also love meat specially goat meat.Among the famous Bengali goat meat curry, there is one dish that never fails to impress anyone,that is spicy Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha.
You need rewaji khasi to make a tasty Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha .Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha is cooked mainly using Rewaji Khasi or goat meat with lots of fat,this fat will incease the taste of the gravy. Rewaji khasi means a goat which has been raised particularly to increase the intramascular fat by feeding them a specific kind of diet.Here goat meat is first marinated for long hours with fresh thick curd, ginger paste, garlic paste and mustard oil to make it tender.Kosha means bhuna or sautted ,in this recipe goat meat is cooked in slow cooking method over low flame for a very long time to get athick,rice and dark brown goat meat preparation.Apart from this Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha ,there is also a goat meat curry in Bengal,called Kochi Pathar Jhol or kid goat’s meat thin curry.
Mutton preparation like Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha and kochi pathar jhol are among the favourite dishes of the Bengalis, cooked during lazy weekends and other occasions. It is always a happy moment to sit with all family members and enjoy a hot and spicy Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha with hot steamed rice, Basonti Polau or Luchi.If you eat Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha at lunch,then you can eat with steamed rice or basonti polau or Bengali style mishti polau or if you eat Kosha Mangsho at dinner,then it is good to have it with gorom luchi or Bengaly style hot poori.It is said that Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha tastes even better the next day when the mutton is saturated with the flavours of this different spices mixed gravy.If you do not eat goat meat then you can make this dish with chicken.Every Bengali family probably has its own version of this dish,so this recipe could be different little bit from family to family.Today I am sharing the recipe of Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha straight from my kitchen.
Kosha Mangsho(Bengali Style Thick Goat Meat Curry)Print This
- 500 gm goat meat
- 4onions (chopped )
- 1/4 cup garlic paste +1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons ginger paste +1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 4 teaspoons dry red chilli paste(soak 6 dry red chilies into warm water for 30 minutes then drain the water and grind it using little water
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup curd
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala(dry roast 1 chinamon stick, 4 green cardamom, 5 cloves and then grind to make a fine powder )
- 3/4cup mustard oil
- 1/4 cup +2 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
2 bay leaves
3 whole cardamoms
½ inch long cinnamon stick
1 tsp of sugar
- Beat the curd and add 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon garlic and 1 teaspoon red chilli paste,mix well and rub it to the mutton,add 1/2tsp turmeric powder and salt and mix it well,keep it overnight or 6 to 7 hours in the fridge.
- Heat 3/4 cup mustard oil and 1/4 cup ghee in a deep and heavy bottom pan.
- Add all garam masala ingredients of tempering into the mortal pestle and crush them little bit. Then temper the oil with these bay leaf,crushed cinnamon stick,cloves,and green cardamom. Also add sugar to it. The sugar gives a nice red colour to the gravy.
- Add chopped onions , fry until golden brown.
- Add remaining ginger, garlic and red chilli paste, fry until the raw smell of masala paste goes away.
- Cook until oil gets separated,stir continously.
- Now add the marinated mutton and mix well.
- Add coriander, red chilli powder and remaining turmeric powder and stir,add salt and mix.
- Stir to mix everything together and cook on low flame.
- Cover and let it cook for sometime and then stir so that it does not burn.
- Keep doing this process for 1 hour 30 minutes or more till the mutton is soft and all the water is released.
- In between, uncover and stir to prevent burning at the bottom in every 15 minutes.if required sprinkle some water.
- Once mutton is soft,open the cover and add remaining ghee and powdered garam masala,cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve Mutton Kosha with hot steamed rice , luchi( BengaliStyle Poori ) or Basonti polau, but me and my family members love to eat Kosha Mangsho or Mutton Kosha with hot steamed rice.
1.It is advised to get the meat from the foreleg and the shoulder. 2.You may pressure-cook the dish to save time, but in that case you have to add extra amount of warm water to the cooker to avoid the mutton getting burnt from bottom. 3.If you want to get the darkish brown coloured gravy then you should cook the dish into iron wok or kadai.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 1,499.00Was: INR 1,600.00
Price: INR 794.00
Price: INR 800.00Was: INR 850.00
Price: INR 785.00Was: INR 875.00
Price: INR 944.00
Price: INR 1,550.00Was: INR 1,585.00
Price: INR 1,500.00
Price: INR 1,425.00Was: INR 1,500.00