I cooked Murgir ( Chicken ) Malaikari , followed by the popular Bengali recipe Prawn malaikari or Chingri Macher Malaikari . Here prawns are cooked in coconut milk gravy with some aromatic spices . It is a traditional recipe of Bengal and mostly is prepared on some special occasion like weddings , birthday , any festival or for guests . This delicious , mild curry is so easy to make . The word ‘ malai ‘ means cream , but the creaminess of this curry comes from coconut milk .
Many people have shellfish allergy , they are not able to eat prawns , crab etc . I was also allergic to prawns . After my daughter was born, this problem went away due to some hormonal changes . Then I started eating prawn malaikari . But before that when this dish was cooked in our house , my mother would have made Murgir ( Chicken ) Malaikari for me .
Murgir ( Chicken ) Malaikari is a delectable blend of coconut milk , chicken and aromatic spices . It can be served with rice , Bengali style polao or luchi . If you like it more rich , you can cook this dish using ghee or clarified butter . This will surely add on some extra taste to this dish . You have some sudden guests dropping by and you want to prepare something exotic , then this delicious yet simple recipe can be a perfect choice . You just need all the ingredients in place to make this super delicious chicken dish . I can bet this delicious chicken curry with some hot steamed rice will make your lunch or dinner more delightful .
You can find few more chicken recipes from this blog
Author – Moumita
Course – Main
Cuisine – Bengali Cuisine
How To Make Murgir MalaikariPrint This
- Chicken -500 grams
- Yogurt or curd – 2 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 ( chopped )
- Ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste – 2 tablespoons
- Green chili paste 2 teaspoons
- Cashew paste – 1 tablespoon ( soak 6 cashews in warm water for 15 minutes then grind to make a fine paste )
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup (thick)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup ( thin )
- Salt & sugar as per taste
- Turmeric – 1/ 2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1/2 cup (Preferably Mustard oil )
- 4 Green Cardamom pods
- 1″ long Cinnamon stick
- Bay leaves – 2
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Marinate the chicken with yogurt or curd , 1/2 tablespoon ginger paste , 1tablespoon garlic paste , 1/2 teaspoon green chilies paste , all spices powder, 1teaspoon oil and little salt very well for 30 minutes to 1 hour .
- Crush the cinnamon stick and green cardamom pods .
- Heat oil in a pan , temper the oil with bay leaves , crushed green cardamom pods and cinnamon stick .
- Now add the chopped onion and fry till light brown , add remaining ginger , garlic and green chili paste , and cook till raw smell of ginger garlic paste go away .
- Now add the marinated chicken , mix with masala , cook on low flame , continuously stirring .
- When oil start separating from the masala , add cashew paste , salt and sugar and mix everything together .
- Add coconut thin milk and bring it to boil , when the milk will start boiling, simmer the gas and cover with lid .
- Cook until chicken is cooked properly.
- Open the lid and add thick coconut milk , 1 tablespoon ghee and mix with chicken . Cook for 2 minutes on low flame . Switch off the gas .
- Transfer the Murgir (Chicken) Malaikari into a serving bowl .
- Enjoy with hot Steamed white rice .
For coconut thick milk and thin milk you need 2 cups grated coconut and 4 cups warm water . Take 2 cups grated coconut and 1 cup warm water in a blender . Blend it on high till coconut is ground well . Pour this coconut milk to the already lined muslin cloth over a strainer in a bowl ,squeeze out properly , this is called coconut thick milk. Take the coconut residues and put back to the blender with remaining 2 cups warm water . Blend it again on high . Pour this coconut milk to the already lined muslin cloth over a strainer in a bowl ,squeeze out properly , this is called coconut thin milk.