Kashmir,India’s one of the most picturesque state lies on the peaks of Himalayan Ranges,is known as land of heaven.Kashmir is the land of beauty.Kashmiri cuisine is also amazing like it’s beauty.The cuisine of Kashmir is divided into three varied style of cooking-the Kashmiri Pandit cuisine,the Muslim cuisine and the Rajput style of cooking.Each style of cooking has its own tradition and way of using ingredients.Kashmiri Pandit eat meat but they do not use onion and garlic in their dishes wheras both onion and garlic are mostly used in the Muslim Cuisine.Though Kashmri cuisine comprises rich and spicy non vegeterian dishes specially meaty delicacies,but it also offers varities of exotic vegeterian dishes.Paneer Chaman or Ruangan Chaman is one such vegetarian delicacy that is as delicious and finger licking as the meaty curries. Chaman means tomato in the Kashmiri language,so as the name says paneer or cottage cheese cooked in a tomato gravy.Paneer Chaman is a popular paneer preparation made with pieces of fried paneer simmered into tomato based gravy flavoured with fennel seeds powder,dry ginger pwoder and other spices.
Paneer does not have any taste for itself.The taste of paneer depends on how it is cooked.Paneer is prepared in so many different ways in all over India that every gravy is different from another one. This Kashmiri style of cooking paneer is little different as this gravy is cooked without onion and garlic.The aroma of this dish comes from the nice smell of fennel seeds and dry ginger powder.Paneer Chaman will make a great dish to go along with any Indian Breads like naan, roti, kulcha. or any Indian rice preparation like polau and biriyani.The taste of this dish will increase when you make this with homemade Paneer.You can also try these delicious Palak Paneer and Lehsuni Methi Paneer(Garlic Methi Paneer),
Author: Moumita Malla
Course: Main Course
how to make paneer chamanPrint This
250 grams Paneer (cut into thick rectangular chunks)
tomato puree-1 cup
2 teaspoon Kashmiri dry red chilli
1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
2 tablespoons Fennel seeds (Saunf)
1/2 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 teaspoon Garam masala powder, Sahi garam Masala-1tsp
1 teaspoon Ghee
1 teaspoon Bay leaf (tej patta)
2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
4 Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder
1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
5 tablespoon Mustard oil, or oil of your choice
1/2 cup Water
- To begin making paneer chaman, we need to make sure we have the homemade tomato puree.
- Next we boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of turmeric. Once the water is boiled, turn off the heat. We will use this water to place fried paneer pieces.
- Place a kadai on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons mustard oil.
- Add the cut paneer pieces into the pan and shallow fry the paneer until you get a nice golden brown on all sides. Turn off the heat.
- Drop the paneer pieces for the Kashmiri gravy, into the prepared hot turmeric water for few minutes. It will prevent the paneer for being chewy.
- Into the same pan, add one tablespoon oil. Add badi elaichi, green cardamom, bay leaf, hing and cinnamon stick. Saute for a minute until the aromas of the spices wafts in the air.
- Next add the homemade tomato puree along with red chilli powder and dry ginger powder.
- Stir well until all the masalas are well combined and the masala easily comes off from the sides of the kadai.
- Add in the powdered saunf to the Kashmiri Paneer gravy and mix well
- Add 1/2 cup water, mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
- Finally add the fried paneer cubes, garam masala powder and ghee, cover the kadai with the lid and allow it to cook for 2 minutes. After a few minutes, switch off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and your Kashmiri Paneer Gravy is ready to be served.
- Serve Kashmiri Paneer Gravy along with Roti, Naan or Kulcha for a delicious weekend meal.
If you use homemade tomato puree,then you have to learn how to make it at home.
how to make homamade tomato puree at home
- Choose 5 ripe red tomatoes.
- Give them a quick wash in cold water.
- Using a sharp knife drop a cross over the tomatoes.
- Boil the water well and then drop the tomatoes into the boiled water .
- After 2 minutes take it out from the water.
- You can see the skin peeled away after taking out .So we no need to peel the skin.
- It will comes out easily.
- Now the blanched tomatoes are ready to make sauces.
- Grind these to make a fine homemade puree.
For garam masala,you can use store bought Sahi Garam masala or you can make it at home
how to make garam masala for this recipe at home.
Ingredients for Garam Masala
- Cloves -3
- Cumin Seeds-1/2tsp
- Black pepper corns-1/2tsp
- Coriander Seeds-1/2tsp
- Green Cardamom -2
- Black Cardamom -1
- Chinamon Stick -1
- Method of making Garam Masala
Method of making garam masala
In a different pan,dry roast all ingredients . Grind them to make a fine powder.
It is ideal to cook this dish with fresh tomatoes, which are blanched (boiled whole and then skinned) and then added to the curry although you can also use tinned plum tomatoes or tomato puree which gives it a thick gravy and also is a quick option.