Pomfret Makhmali recipe is totally my innovation.My daughter loves to eat pomfret fish as it has less bones.To make a new dish for her I prepared this recipe.
Pomfret is very popular fish in India.This fish can be spotted all along the coast of the Indian subcontinent.The word Pomfret originated from the Portugese word ‘pampo’.There are three types of pomfret which are mainly found in Indian waters, include: : silver, grey and black pomfrets.The Silver Pomfret is the most common of these three species.Pomfrets are one of the most popular fish in the menu of Indians.Pomfrets are usually prepared whole or into pieces after removing the inner organs from the fish’s body.The fish is at its best taste when they are cooked fresh.It can be prepared in many different ways including smoked,grilled, tandoori, pan fried and deep fried,steamed ,baked or made into some spicy delicious gravy.They do not have a strong odor like other saltwater fish have.We Indians prefer to eat fried pomfret or spicy pomfret curry or gravy.Different Indian spices are used to make these two types of pomfret recipes.This time I made this Pomfret Makhmali recipe using less spices to make it non spicy dish.Since this recipe used very little spices,kids will also love to eat. This is also very healthy as it requires less oil. My daughter loves to eat fish,as all we know that fish provides a good source of high quality protein and contains many vitamins and minerals. What a satisfactory feeling a mom get while seeing her little one eat some healthy foods. Shallow fry is the quickest way to get a nutritious meal on the table in minutes. In this recipe, I have marinated the fish pieces with cheese,cream, yogurt,lemon zest and a dash of seasoning and then shallow fry in less oil.This wonderful recipe will make your mouth water when you have a bite of the fish.Here the gravy is very creamy with a slight tangy taste due to adding lemon zest.This smooth gravy makes the taste of this dish more delightful. For this creamy and smooth gravy I named the dish Pomfret Makhmali.Hindi is our national language,in Hindi ‘Makhmal’means velvet,this recipe is named Pomfret Makhmali for its smooth texture.Ít tastes good itself, but if required can be had with roti or rice.
You can check few fish and sea food recipes mentioned in the below.
how to make pomfret makhmali or pomfret in creamy saucePrint This
- Pomfret Fish-2 pieces
- Yogurt-1/2 cup
- Cheese-1/2 cup ( grated) ( here you can use processed cheese or mozzarella cheese) I used this
- Fresh Cream-1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 Teaspoons
- Ginger paste – 1 Teaspoon
- Garlic Paste-2 teaspoons
- Green Chilies Paste-1 teaspoon(optional)
- Lemoz Zest-1 Teaspoon (Zest is the very outer layer of skin from a citrus fruit. Zest is a great way to add extra flavor to cooking )
- Salt to taste
- Butter– 1+1 Teaspoons
- Parsley leaf-2 teaspoons(chopped) or you can use dry parsley also
- Clean fishes and make gashes with sharp knife.
- Take a bowl, combine cheese, 1 teaspoon butter, lemon zest, ginger paste,garlic paste,green chili paste,cream,yogurt and salt, then mix well with whisker or hand to make a smooth past.
Coat fishes thoroughly both sides and inside the gashes.
Cover the fish and leave it to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Place frying pan and heat up oil on medium flame.
- Place the marinated fish on hot tawa, fry the promfret pieces until one side is golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip over and pan fry the other side.When both sides are golden, remove from heat and keep on absorbant paper to remove excess oil.
- Add butter in the same pan
- Add remaining marination when the butter will start melte
- Add little salt and stir continiously for 2 to 3 minutes
- Sprinkle little water if required,water prevents the spices from burning from bottom.
- Switch off the gas,sprinkle chopped fresh parsley leaves or dry parsley leaves from top and mix with the gravy
- Pour this gravy on fish pieses kept on tray from top.
Products from Amazon.in
Price: INR 799.00Was: INR 1,115.00
Price: INR 169.00Was: INR 210.00
Price: INR 1,477.00Was: INR 1,970.00
Price: INR 164.00Was: INR 193.00
It is very soft fish. Be careful while flipping the fish as once it is tender it may break away.