Prawn Ghee Roast is a very popular dish in Mangalore. Mangalore is a famous city in Karnataka on the coast of Arabian Sea. Prawns are easily available here as it is situated in the coastal area. This is a perfect side dish with biriyani, ghee rice, roti or Malabar paratha. It is easy to make and can be served as an appetizer also.
Serve Prawn Ghee Roast as a side dish along with steamed rice .
Prawn Ghee Roast RecipePrint This
250 grams Prawns, shelled and deveined
4 Dry red chillies
1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1/4 Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
1/2 teaspoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
1/2 Fennel seeds (Saunf)
1 tablespoon Tamarind , soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
1/4 Cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
1/2 Lemon juice
6 cloves Garlic
2 tablespoons Ghee, plus 1 teaspoon
Salt, as per taste.
- To begin making the Prawn Ghee Roast recipe, soak the chillies in warm water for 1 hour, drain the water and reserve the chillies.
- Clean the prawns, wash and pat them dry.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup warm water for 10 minutes. Once soaked squeeze the tamarind and extract the pulp.
- Heat a small fry pan, roast the pepper corns, fenugreek, mustard, fennel and cumin, once the spices stop to splutter, switch off the heat. Transfer the spices into a bowl, let it be cool, and grind to make a fine powder.
- Add the garlic and soaked chillies into a grinder with a splash of water and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Marinate the prawns with the lime juice, yoghurt, red chilli powder, turmeric and a pinch of salt for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons ghee to a pan, place it on medium flame add the prawns in batches. Fry from both the sides until light brown. Remove the prawns from pan.
- Add garlic chilies paste into the remaining ghee, fry for 2 minutes, add prawns, roasted dry spice powder, remaining marination masala and salt, mix well and cook until oil gets separated.
- Add tamarind pulp, curry leaves and cook for 5 minutes on low flame, if required sprinkle some water.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon ghee on top, mix and switch off the gas. Transfer the Prawn Ghee Roast into a serving bowl.
- Serve Prawn Ghee Roast as a side dish along with steamed rice.
Prawn Ghee Roast is a very popular dish in Mangalore.