Sandesh is very famous sweet in West Bengal . Sweet plays a important role in Bengali Cuisine . We Bengalis call sweet as ‘Mishti’. Almost all Bengalis have a sweet tooth. Though I do not like to eat sweet , instead of eating it I love to make it . Sandesh or Sondesh (Bengali ponunciation ) is an authentic Bengali delicacy . In Bengal , we make sweet specially with chhena or sweetened cottage cheese or sometimes mixed chena with mewa or khoya . First of all Chhena is made by cutting down boiling cow’s milk along with lemon juice . Second Chhena is strained through a muslin cloth covered strainer and the excess water is drained out . Mewa (also known as Khoya/ Khoa) is a evaporated milk, made by slowly reducing full fat milk until all that remain is a mass of slightly milk solids .
Meaning Of Sandesh
I am not sure from where the name of this sweet came , therfore I can guess that the name of this sweet came from the word ‘ Sandesh’ . In Bengali language , sandesh means message . It is our tradition to send sweets as gift or going someone’s house with some sweets . I spent my entire childhood eating a variety of Bengali sweet in West Bengal . Now I stay in Bangalore , far away from my native . Here It is very difficult of getting Bengali sweets easily , therefore I try to make different sweet at home to fulfill sweet craving of my family .
Basic recipe of sandesh
We can see a variety of Sandesh in West Bengal .Today i am sharing the basic recipe of Sandesh .You can make it using only chhena or mixed chhena with mewa or khoya . The main part of making this sweet is kneading the chhena dough . It decides the texture , but too much kneading can ruin the texture . To conclude , I want you all to try this dish and let me know your feedback . First we will make chhena from milk , then will make mewa or khoya . After that we will make sandesh mixed chhena and khoya together .
You can find few more sweet recipes from this blog
Author – Moumita Malla
Course –Sweet and Dessert
Make SandeshPrint This
- Milk -1 litre + 1 litre ( for chena and khoya or mewa )
- Sugar – 3/4 th cup ( if you prefer more sweetness in your sweet , you can increase the measurement of sugar )
- Lemon Juice -1 lemon ( if required , add more lemon juice )
- Green Cardamom – 4 (powdered)
- Washed , Peeled and Chopped Almonds and Pistachios – 1/4 th cup
How to make Cheena
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel , pour milk in it .
- Bring the milk to boil and keep stirring to avoid burning of milk from bottom .
- Once the milk comes to boil , simmer the gas , start adding lemon juice and keep stirring ( if required , add more lemon juice ) .
- Cook for few seconds until the milk solids get separate from the water . This water is called whey water , it is good for health . You can use it for making any curry or kneading your roti dough . Switch off the heat .
- Pour this curdled milk to the already lined muslin cloth or thin cotton cloth over a strainer , squeeze out all the whey water then rinse cheena or cottage cheese under the tap water as much as possible. If you do not rinse the chena properly , you will get the smell of lemon while having sandesh .
- Now hang the cloth covered chhena with tap for 30 minutes . Then remove it from tap . It will help to squeeze more water from chhena .
- After that , remove the cloth from the chhena.
- The chhena should not have too much moisture nor be too dry .
- Take the chhena in a wider plate .
- Knead it well with your palms for 8 to 10 minutes to get smooth texture .
- This kneading process is very important and it decides the texture of sandesh .
How to Make Khoya or Mewa
- Heal milk in a heavy bottomed pan on high flame , when the milk will start boiling .
- Simmer the gas and keep boiling it on low flame till it reduces to ¼ the volume or the milk solids become lumpy .
- Using spatula, scrape the milk solids from the sides and add these to the bowl .
- Switch off the gas and cover the bowl . Let the mewa be cool at room temperature .
How To Make Sandesh
- Place a thick bottomed non stick pan on stove on a low flame .
- Add chena , with continuous stirring cook on a low flame for 2-3 minutes .
- Add khoya or mewa , sugar and green cardamom ( powdered ) , mix properly , continuous stirring on low flame until lthe moisture would begin to dry up , remove the pan from heat and allow the mixture to cool .
- Grease all moulds with ghee , and also rub your two palms with ghee .
- Take small portion of the sandesh mixture on a flat surface , knead it with your fingers and put them in the sandesh mould then pressing from top and sides to give a perfect shape of sandesh .
- Do this with remaining sandesh mixture using different shaped moulds . If you do not have mould then you can give any shape according to your choice .
- Garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios .
- Sandesh is ready to serve .
Step by Step Pictures of Making Sandesh
( how to make cheena )
How to make khoya or mewa
Final procedure of making Sandesh